3 Top skills must be seen on the resume:
- Public Safety Radio Experience
- IP Network Security & Design
Intermediate to Senior role
Any testing in interviews? No testing, however, the candidate will have to pass a telephone interview followed by an interview with Subject Matter Experts on my Engineering Team.
What types of projects will this candidate be working on? Public Safety Radio Network builds, transition and support (VHF/UHF/700-800MHz Radio)
Typical hours worked: 8:30am to 5:00pm
This position has arisen - Resource needed to support new Networks.
Any potential to hire Full time? Possibly
Flex hours, possible to work from remote? Our customers are primarily Government so we must be available during normal business hours. We work as a team at one or another Bell location.
An Engineering Specialist within client’s Radio Division is accountable for the planning, design, build, and system integration of Push-to-Talk (PTT) Land Mobile Radio networks (primarily for Public Safety radio communication network in Canada), paging as well as other terrestrial radio networks, and associated supporting backbone connectivity. The successful candidate will report to the Senior Manager, Radio Engineering on a regional basis.
Key Job Accountabilities
In order of importance, describe the major accountabilities of the job and indicate the percentage of time spent on each accountability. Focus on describing what is to be achieved, rather than all the detailed tasks involved. Describe the accountabilities as they are today and outline typical accountabilities that occur on a regular basis.
- Develop and recommend appropriate radio solution on a customer basis, with particular emphases in the Public Safety domain 30%
- Develop network and service designs associated with approved architectures and best practices 25%
- Develop and/or manage the deployment of all aspects of Radio Network engineering and design such as : RF coverage analysis; RF antenna subsystems design; Capacity augments; Provisioning and configuration of network equipment; IP-based equipment deployment and servers integration; Site documentation Implementation and as-built documentation; On-site installation support and system optimization; Dispatch console implementation and upgrades; In-building coverage system implementation; Testing and validation of network equipment; Radio terminal configuration 25%
- Managing, assisting and/or leading in the technical preparation of bids & proposals, the development of system upgrade and network cutover strategies 10%
- Provide technical support to Tier 2 and Tier 1 support staff during times of complex faults and to pre-sales engineering group 10%
Knowledge: Describe the nature of knowledge required to accomplish objectives. Consider specific professional or technical knowledge, product or systems knowledge, etc. (see pages 5&6 for additional details on required information)
The role will typically be guided by more senior level managers, however those candidates who build or start with appropriate experience and/or knowledge of trunked radio networks (P25), backhaul & dispatch networks will be looked upon to operate in a more independent fashion
The particular technical fields of knowledge for the role include:
- Telecommunications or related field with particular focus in the Land Mobile Radio(LMR) field
- Design and configuration, RF antenna systems, LMR systems and data networking;
- Knowledge of conventional UHF and VHF radio communications systems
- Knowledge of SQL, MS Access, Auto Cad, MapInfo, Planet EV
- Knowledge of IP-based networks, Windows and Solaris server systems
The candidate will be working directly with customers, typically public and public safety organization as well as internal departments outside of the technical areas (such as sales & account management). As such, both verbal and written communication are essential along with an organized and analytical approach. Key skills include
- Excellent organizational, prioritization and time management skills
- Experience with customer interface/issue resolution
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills;
- Bilingualism (English, French) is an asset.
Customer Solutions may be highly customized, and most designs are usually tailored to specific situations and clients. Assistance will be required to for technical field resources in trouble shooting issues as well as support for sales/account managers working directly with customers.
- A degree or certificate in Electrical Engineering, Computer Sciences, Engineering Technology or equivalent
- Basic IT proficiency including experience in Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Visio
- Strong Project Management skills
- Solid Business and Financial Acumen
- Extended Knowledge in other aspects of telecommunications
- Request for Proposals and/or Change Orders to existing contracts are a weekly occurrence. The candidate will be engaged on the front end to read through and analyze the request and subsequently build a solution and associated costing set, or question and challenge the base assumptions of the request. Engagement with the customer and the account manager is typically necessary, while the candidate determines the appropriate design and options available. Challenges include, narrowing down assumptions and inclusions to form a viable and appropriately acceptable cost point solution.
- Managing network or component upgrade paths are part of the ongoing requirements of the role. This means keeping track of current and future releases with the vendor and internally, as well as understanding the timing and functionality of each version. Customer discussions and coordination it required to ensure minimal customer impact while safeguarding appropriate support and servicing.
- Network issues and troubles can come in at any time, and although the role not the first line of support, it is incumbent on the candidate to support escalations when required. IN these cases, there is little and sometimes contradicting information which the candidate will be required to sort through analyze and assist technical and vendor specialist with trouble shooting.